Friday, August 10, 2007

keeping up on my reading and failing miserably

I have tried to read a stack of books from my library this summer and have only gotten through three of them so far. Between my master's classes and yearbook camp I just haven't had a lot of free time. However, I did enjoy reading Samurai Shortstop by Alan Gratz. This historical novel set in Japan in the late 1800's tells the story about Toyo, a son of a samurai. As his father tries to teach him bushido, the way of the warrior, Toyo learns to adapt the old with his new love of baseball. This book really kept my attention and I don't even like baseball - a big "thumbs up"! Another book I enjoyed and I think you will to is Lucy the Giant by Sherri L. Smith. Lucy, a huge fifteen year old girl from a small Alaskan town runs away from her abusive father and cruel classmates and joins up with a crabbing boat crew who accepts her as an adult. Lucy's character captivated me and I think you'll love her too. Again, this books receives a big "thumbs up". Not everything I pick up to read I finish, as in the case of Clay by David Almond. Maybe I just wasn't in the mood for this dark psychological thriller set in England, but I found myself putting this one down and never finishing it. However, you might enjoy this book about Davie and his new friend Stephen who can form figures out of clay and bring them to life. Eventually they create Clay, a man-sized figure that eventually turns into a monster that only Davie can stop. This book might not be for everyone, but I think some of you might really enjoy getting into this twisted, dark novel. Whatever you do, Keep Reading!

No comments: